Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars

OCC lip tars.....all famous, revolutionary, trend setter product. These little monsters are highly pigmented lip colors in squeeze out tubes. You would have guessed I just love liquid products that have pumps or squeeze out mechanisms because of the sanitary advantage. But personally, I was just so disappointed with these tars not because they didn't live up to the hype of their extreme pigmentation of longevity, but because....

From Left to Right: Iced, Pretty Boy, Kava Kava, Hoochie and Lydia

Price: These are 10 ml each and came in a little plastic kit with a decent lip brush. The kit was called Pro's Picks Lip Tar Set V2.0 and I was so hyped to get my hands on such a good deal, since going through a full size one is nearly unheard off. The price was 49 dollars whereas the price for a single is about 20 dollars.

Packaging: No complaints here.

Product: Very good pigmentation,  in fact nothing I have compares. But several things happened and as they unfolded slowly one after the other, I felt more and more despondent. 

Its purely vegan and cruelty free so yay, that was a nice thing.

The first 2 and the last one didn't show much separation but notice the third and fourth colors.

Corresponding swatches.


So when I applied the colors, I immediately noticed they spread and blend like a dream, but they seemed to have this synthetic minty smell. I was not fond of it, but it didn't bother me too much. They are very long lasting an can survive a small meal and tea. When wearing off, they leave a nice stain. If you want to remove the color, you will have to use some cream or makeup remover to get out the color completely. 

After a couple of weeks I noticed some separating within the tubes, like the oil was separating from the pigment. In all fairness, a thorough shaking solved this issue, but when I squeeze out the product the first few little drops were runny with oil, making a little mess. The product was not old enough to toss, it had been just a few weeks since I got them. Maybe they require a good shaking regularly. 

They feel good on the lips, not drying like you would expect, but not hydrating either.

Another nice thing is that they are meant to be mixed to create your own custom colors. Hence the white, which can be used to lighten the dark colors. OCC do a black too. I use these to mix into my other lipsticks too.

So to sum up, its all good, but this business of the separating and the icky mess that happens is somewhat troublesome but nothing that can't be handled.

Marks: 7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment