Saturday, February 8, 2014

3 Drugstore Foundation Purchase Regrets

I like a good foundation, who doesn't..but it happens more than often that when you buy a foundation and test it and you're ecstatic that it looks brilliant....you get home and put it to the real test, only to find out that it did not meet your expectations. Some aspect of the foundation did not work for you, whether it was the wear, or the oxidation on it was crazy or that it broke you out or it was simply not your shade. The shade issue is most common because when we buy it, we test it in the glare of the shop lights. Here's a tip, apply it and then check it out in the natural light, away from the shop's bright orange lights.

Since I do a lot of research and deliberate quite a bit before making any purchase, I usually do not get misses, but still, nobody is perfect.

So I'm going to reveal 3 foundations that did not work for me, why and how I am trying to somehow make them work so that they don't go to total waste.




1. Avon Anew Foundation:
I bought this primarily because of its anti aging treatment properties and the SPF factor as well. It has an SPF of 15. Avon catalogs are not bang on when it comes to color swatches and you can go wrong, but I have a pretty good knack on which shade would match me. But although the color was not too badly off such that I could not use it, the issue was the coverage. In that there was none. All I get when I apply this one is an oily sheen. It's not pretty.

So I usually mix it in with my matte foundations. I am one who doesn't like mixing my foundations because what's the point of paying a whole amount of money for something you know will give you certain perks only to mix it in with other foundations and therefore not retaining the original properties...if you know what I mean. Made it sound like science up there...

2. Revlon Colorstay Foundation:

I've done a whole blog post on this one (click here) so I wont make this too long. I find this foundation too tacky on my skin, it weighs my skin down and that is the issue. I use a light weight powder on top to make it less tacky, and still I don't feel comfortable. 

So in addition the powder, another way that I make it wearable is by applying it with a damp sponge. That makes it sheer though. But it becomes less tacky.

3. Max Factor Second Skin Foundation:

I like the feel, the coverage and the color. But after about an hour, it starts turning ashy on my skin. It gives me a grey hue, which is strange because most foundations oxidize to give an orange hue. 

So I wear it when I don't need to have it on long and just use a tinted face powder to temporarily correct when the color starts changing.

This one alone with the others mentioned above are the more expensive drugstore varieties with prices ranging from about 90-100 dhs. So they are pretty pricey. They are regrets, but I'm resolved to see them all through.

The mark of a good foundation is that even when you're on the run and all you can do is slap it on with your fingers, it still looks amazing. The three on top just didn't make the cut.

I hope to do a hit foundation blog post soon as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment