Saturday, April 26, 2014

Makeup Regrets

Usually I don't have products I don't like because I do a lot of research before buying them. However, sometimes I have had the bad luck of bringing home a product with great expectations in mind, only to be disappointed because it was not all that it was hyped up to be or worse, it could not work for me.


I love reading about other people regrets also, it has helped me make more informed decisions as to invest in a product or not. So I thought it would be fun to do one myself.

So lets dig right in....

1. Revlon Colorstay Foundation: I've done in an in-depth review of why this did not work for me (click here) but in a nutshell, it feels heavy on my skin and streaks. I feel it to be tacky even though it does have good coverage. But its a pass for me even though it is one of the most popular drugstore foundations out there.


2. Wet n Wild Megalast Lipstick: Well we all know orange is the new red/black, and I had heard all good things for about this particular brand, so I put two and two together and bought this bang in your face orange lipstick called 24 Carat Gold I figured even if the color was too strong for my taste I could wind it down a bit by mixing it with other shades, besides I didn't have an orange at all. But even though I fell in love with the color and the super pigmentation, this formula was extra drying for my lips, and that is saying something since I don't have an issue with dry lips. The lipstick tugged on my lips and it was a task to get it on evenly. I had to use lots of lip balm under and a gloss on top for good measure to make it work. So yeah, that was a regret.


3. Dior Blush in 839 Rose Vintage: Again I have done a review on this so for details click here. But generally speaking, it was not at all pigmented, not long lasting, ridiculously expensive and difficult to transfer onto the brush as well. 


4. Nars Blushes: Don't get me wrong. These are some seriously good blushes, but really the price on these things are colossal compared to say the NYX blushes which are just as good. Even theBalm instain blushes are half the price and in my opinion, more superior. I think these are not worth the money. I have a palette called Adult Content, and it nice but just far too hyped up and marked up- click here for the swatches.


5. Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick: I have a lovely shade called Ultimate Orchid and it is lovely, except that after applying it dries out my lips like crazy and stays tacky. It also seems to change color and take on a greyish hue. Again I've done a review on this product here. I have always loved every Revlon lip product, until this one.


6. Bourjois Effet Lumiere Eyeshadow Trio: This is lovely in theory having a matte black, a white and a grey, but they just don't pick up onto the brush very well and feel very grainy. The tiny particles actually fall right off leaving very little pigmentation. I find I have to apply a colored base and use my fingers to actually get the color payoff I want. I was sad because it looked like the ideal little mini palette for a smoky eye that you could get a lot of use out of.


7. Rimmel Gel Eyeliner: I'll start by saying this is intensely black, beyond that its all down hill. The price point is very good, bit the product is also less than other typical gel liners so actually it comes up to the same as other drugstore brands, it takes forever to dry and flakes. With tonnes of awesome alternative options out there, this is a pass.


8. Revlon 3D Extreme Mascara: It was so dry that I couldn't get anything out of it. Literally had to toss it within days of getting it. Also the wand just made the little I could get out of the tube go all wonky on my lashes making them stick together. And I got epic panda eyes after just a few hours of wear.


9. Essence Stay All Day Cream Eyeshadows:  For the price these are not bad, the colors are also nice, the texture is smooth and best applied with fingers, but if you buy these then be prepared to use them up in record time because they dry up and crack like nobody's business. I've had to chuck some out because they literally almost became solid.


Well I hope you enjoyed this little rant, I mean no offense to the brands or the people for whom these products worked, but they are just not for me and I will not be repurchasing.

Let me know some of your makeup regrets in the column below.




























No comments:

Post a Comment