Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Top 5 Beauty Mistakes I Used to Make

Though I've never had professional training in the field of makeup application, being an avid fan of learning new techniques and keeping up with what's going on in the makeup world is a passion I take quite seriously. Through the hit and trial method I have come to a few very important conclusions when it comes to applying makeup, generally speaking. I wanted to share these insights with other younger aspiring makeup fans out there about what I have picked up over the past 20 or so odd years since I became interested.





1. Not using a primer/ base: 
Up until only a few years ago I didn't really know what a primer was. So like many others, I just slapped on foundation and that was that. Then primers blew up all over the beauty scene. All companies, even drugstores went into a frenzy as did shoppers. Thank heavens that happened! A makeup base, even if it only your daily moisturizer really does make a difference to the overall look of your makeup as well as performance. It's just enough to make using a primer significant.





2. Holding on to old/expired makeup:
 Not proud of it. Perhaps the reason was more sentimentality over the pending wastage of the product itself. For true makeup junkies, makeup is more than just a tool to accentuate features, it's more like a source of joy and girly happiness. And so the clutter built up until it got ridiculous, clumpy mascaras, dried out cream products, weird smelling lipsticks, the works. It took me years to get over it and realize that this has to stop. Now I am at a better place where I am using things up, throwing away old useless stuff and taking stock of what I really want (coz let's face it, there is no 'need').


3. Getting stuck in a rut:   
                                                                                                              Don't you sometimes have days on end when you find yourself using the same brown shades of eyeshadows, the same nude lipstick and same neutral blush? It happens to me all the time but I ask myself why? I mean I have an arsenal of bright, bold, neutral, colorful and even hip products. Still I gravitate towards the safe bet, until I realized I should shake things up once in a while. And how much fun it was. Don't get stuck in a rut, experiment with that colored eyeliner, go for a bold lip, use that daring silver shadow. Just make it all come together with the placement of the bolds in one area.... or not....whatever makes you happy.




4. Lack of appreciation/hygiene of tools: 

When first starting out with makeup, I just used any odd tool/brush and called it a day not even bothering to clean them regularly, until I stumbled upon Sigma brushes and the Real Techniques brushes. I'll admit my pocket did not allow me to buy MAC brushes, but wow, what a revelation. Suddenly makeup application was easier, better blended and all 'put together'. And I also started giving them regular spot cleaning and deep cleanings as well. Special shout out to the beauty blender- deceiving little thing, not much to look at but works in foundation like no other.


5. Underestimating the power of contouring and highlighting:
                                                                               Looking at professional jobs, I used to often wonder what it was about the overall look that made the makeup look so polished and perfect... took me a while to get there- but I did. Now I don't do any look without some measure of contouring and highlighting, and it makes all the difference. There are tonnes of different ways, but sweeping a darker powder. cream in the hollows of your cheeks and sides of your nose, a little around the temple, brings out bone structure and using a highlighter on the tops of the cheekbones, nose, cupid's bow and under the brow brings dimension. It really does make you look flawless and glam.

Basically, it's all about having fun and doing what your heart tells you to do. If you feel like doing a red lip, or a smoky eye, or whatever, then go for it. What makeup tips have you picked up? Share in the comments below.                                                                            
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 




                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment