Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Our First Z-Palette... The Experience

By 'our,' I mean my sister and I. She called one fine evening last week asking if I would like to get a z-palette, they had turned up on a makeup selling site and things usually sold out fast. Being a makeup junkie, and having so many singles just sitting in the darkest recesses of my lower most drawer, I thought, shouldn't I  have one already?

"Yes, yes, we'll split the delivery charges".

"Do you want the pink one or the zebra printed one?"

"We'll draw straws, flip a coin or something," Who was I kidding? It would have to be the zebra printed one, and she knew it.

There was some delay in the package, and for a time, all was forgotten until the phone rang this morning, "I'm on my way and I have the loot."

I made a bee-line to my drawer, pulled out my shoe box that held the poor desolate singles and few trios. Piling out the shadows and knowing it would require a complicated algorithm to derive which lucky one would make it into the new fancy lodgings.

Some eyeshadows that made the list.




Price: 2900 Pakistani Rupees (100 for delivery)

Packaging/ Product: Sturdy plastic, solid metallic base, magnetic closing (though no sound comes upon shutting the palette), and comes with assorted stick-on metallic stickers for the depotted shadows.

Method: I'll be totally honest, I'm bad with tools. Very bad. But since we're being honest, my sis- not so awesome either... still, much better than me.

I watched her handle the sharp knife as she pushed, prodded, shoved, jimmied, cajoled until all of the eyeshadow pots were out of their bulky eyeshadow casing. Wow, they were so small.

There were some disturbingly close calls and although no blood was spilled, a few shadows did get nicked.

Then she took them directly to the kitchen stove to melt the glue that was the only thing left between the eyeshadow pan and the new real estate. I asked her with a little hesitation, "Aren't you supposed to use a candle, or hair straightener or something a little more....well.... subtle?"

"Do you not see these two kids hovering at my knees?" she asked me in a 'man aren't people thankless' tone. Off she went with some tongs and the bunch of shadows.

This is what became of them...



No, not a pretty sight... oh and the smell in the kitchen....

However on the up side:



"Ahh," I said as I lovingly stuck the little stickers on the base of those shadows that didn't have a strong magnetic grip themselves. I played around with the placement, trying to maximize space and give it a symetrical appearance.

Oh and my sister's:




I had tonnes of fun.

Hmmm. Getting an epiphany.

I think I'll get one more. Pink this time.








1 comment: